22. kesäkuuta 2009

Love yourself.

I'm a girl. I'm a teenager (for now). Sometimes it's really hard to be me, the person I was born to be, when everyone has some idea of what I'm supposed to be like. I guess when I say "everyone" I mean the media, and all the roles they encourage me to take. I know that no one can force me to do what is generally expected but it's just that all these things linger in my mind and sometimes pop out when I'm feeling week (I'm not tall and thing enough and silly stuff like that). I laugh at shallow people but since I worry about looks I'm shallow too. I guess I need to stop pointing fingers now. Everyone knows that advertisements are made for money, they are shallow and fake and yeah you should be what you are blah blah stop being naive Ebs and so on but I think that all this avarice productions changes us. It makes us believe that those looks are something to look up to. It's not real. Beauty that really matters has to be something deeper (Just to be fair to the non-edited beautiful people, some people actually are blessed with a extraodinary, pretty face. Don't want to (only :D) sound like a bitter step-sister kind of a person).

Dove has.. or had a self-esteem campaign. I really like this video. It's almost propaganda but it's nice and has a message.



The general (western) beauty ideal is kind of Eurocentric so different races are struggling with issues concerning their own heritage. Last spring I had an course about ethics in school. One group was doing a presentation on cosmetic surgery they should us (being the rest of the class) this video about Asians (in America) and plastic surgery.



First I kind of laughed in disgust. How could someone be so desperate? But then I realized that I'm actually doing the same thing. I hate my coarse and curly hair because it isn't the average type of hair. To be fair, I'll add this video that I found that's about African American women and their hair issues (relaxers, weaves, braids... oh boy).



One day i felt like dying because the way my hair looked like (and till looks like) didn't suit me. My lovely and mature friend helped me with this song. The song will speak for itself.



So I want all of you to remember that you are amazing beautiful people and it can't be measured by just looks. Love yourselves. Here is one last video. It's called 'Song For A Friend' by Jason Mraz. Pay attention to the lyrics.

6 kommenttia:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

If you want I can learn to love yourself. I am good at it. I mean I am good at loving myself (not you). Bur if you want I can love you either but I don't think it is anyone's dream.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

:D

Baino kirjoitti...

Ebs, Dove have an advertisement here about 'real' bodies, it's pretty good for the self -esteem as well. I haven't got 'African' hair but it's pretty mad and frizzy. I've just learned to live with it. Frankly, If I straighten it, I can't do a thing with it! Self-confidence comes with time I think. I'm still sruggling to love myself. (Maybe we should take Ropi on as our esteem coach!)

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Yes, you should.

Mo kirjoitti...

Ropi: Um :)... You can be our coach!

Baino: Yeah, I know those adverts. They were actuall kind of heartening!

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Hmm, ... YOUR coach...