26. helmikuuta 2010

My India
















I have a dream. I want to go and do volunteer work in India next November. The trip is organized by Maranatha Volunteers in Finland. They fix buildings like schools, health centers and hospitals and churches. The groups that go consist of different specialists and also just random people who want to help. The Maranatha Volunteers will fix a school for the blind (sorry for not using PC-language) in central India. The trips take about two to three weeks and include some cultural exploring. Like this trip possibly includes a trip to Taj Mahal.


I have no clue where this passion for working and enthusiasm towards India came from. Maybe it's just because I'm young and naive and still got lots of childish faith and courage. I've been interested in Development policy for a long time already so that probably influences me. I'm also interested in meeting people and being in a new culture that totally differs from mine. Sigh... I want to go but then I come back to reality since the voyage wont be free, especially since it's volunteer work. If I get a summer job I think I could handle the costs but I can't use everything at ago. I think I could get a little help if I really try to use my imagination. I've got some ideas but right now I'm just praying and waiting for a miracle. Miracles do happen you know. I just can't stand the idea of not going... But if it's meant to be, it'll happen.

In a way I feel like I'm hypocrite. Today I was in the bus I saw an old lady running to the bus. The bus was full and I knew if someone wouldn't give her their seat, she'd have to stand. I knew I could be that someone but I just got scared because I like to sit in the bus and I didn't want people to look at me... I've got some issues and I can be really shy... Another woman stood up so I was more at ease... but why am I such a sissy. In what way is it embarrasing to do something good? I know that the Finnish culture can be really icy but... It's so strange that I'm going to India to do good things but am cold here? Hypocrite.


So, Ropi, that's why I need a sponsor ;)

7 kommenttia:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Well, my dream is to be a famous economist and to show something new in this field.

Baino kirjoitti...

It's a good dream Ebs. Go for it. If you get a summer job you should be fine. India is very cheap and I'm betting the charity will pay for your meals and acommodation so it's jut spending money and the flight? A boy asked me if I would like his seat on the bus the other day! Made me feel a bit old frankly! As for your sponsor, why not have an 'event' or something to raise the money to go. My daughter's friend did a similar thing in Thailand and had trivia nights and an auction to raise money for her fare! People don't mind donating to a good cause. Might help you overcome your shyness too.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Yes, or simply take some ego classes from me and you won't be shy anymore. It is much cheaper. :D

Steve kirjoitti...

LOL, Ego classes from Ropi. You just have to find what you do well and market it, eh Ropi? I like that.

Three weeks in India will change you forever. Do it! List how much you need. Say the flight will cost $700. (I found a three week trip in November on Finnair at onetravel.com for $639 and an Air France trip for $239!) You can then break that down to how many Kilometers (@6000 each way). Then divide it into ten 1200 KM portions for $70 each (both ways.) Get a map and identify each portion on the map. For example, the first $50 might get you to St Petersberg or Moscow, the next to Georgia, or whatever. Then save money for each portion of the trip.

Let your friends and relatives know and if after working and you still need a little more,perhaps they will be willing to buy you one portion of the trip as a birthday present. This way they can feel like they are helping people in India too by financing you. You can also offer people a chance to help pepole in India by paying for part of your trip. But, remember, the people of India will help you more than you will help them. And that's ok. As long as you understand that this is mutual, not one way.

Best of luck!

Mo kirjoitti...

Wow! Thanks for all your tips and wishes! I really appreciate them! I really hope things work out :)

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Good luck! Tomorrow I will have a day of because our national holiday.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

I had some hacking problem maybe with my blog so I restarted with a new one. The old one became totally messed up.

http://every-click-leads-here.blogspot.com/