1. tammikuuta 2009

who? me?

For a long time I've wanted to try doing volunteer work in a old folks home. Old people (ok. that's kind of a useless term. I mean who is actually old enough to be a old person...) are so cool and wise. Somehow it's easy with them. But I think there are three phases in oldness:

1. Actually realizing that you'll not live forever (some people never even get to phase one)
2. Slowing up, Forgetting stuff, telling stories about childhood, going to many cruise trips...
3. Being a vegetable

I'm a little scared when I think that someday I might be really lost. Somehow I dispise old peoples homes. Most of them. It's just a box where the people are put in. I hope I'll never have to live there.

I was working at a old people's home today. Most of the time I played the piano. But after I had played all the songs twice, I thought that maybe I could go and talk to someone. But I just freaked out. I just didn't know how to. I didn't want the nurses to hear me.. HA. It was phatetic. One nice woman working at the place came to talk to me though. I had to write it so I'd be fair. I knew I could read them the newspaper.. I had lots of material. I just froze. After standing in a corner for a while looking stupid (and the staff looking at me like I'm stupid) I decided that I wont be a looser and I went and sat next to someone.
I totally suck at chitchatting but I'm a good listener. One woman had a bear calle princess. She really loved that bear, I tell you. She couldn't find a peace of mind since her shoes were lost. She said she needed to walk home, see. "How can I possibly walk home without my shoes", she cried. An other woman was yelling for help because she thought I was her niece. She also fealt bad because she was afraid she'd die. I totally understand her. One man was tied to a chair I don't know why. So he jus spent all his energy and time trying to stand up.
My personal favourite was a charming old lady who sat very close to the tv. I sat next to her and saw magazine. First she aske who I was. She liked my name. I saw she had a magazine infront of her. On one of the pages was a picture of the model. The woman started telling me how beautiful the man was, how she really loved him. I fealt sorry for the model because he had such a bad rash on his face. Then I looked closer and I saw it was just lipstick on the paper... After some minutes a new years concert from Vienna begun. The first thing the same lady stated was that the conductor was handsome. WOW. We'll she's really got it going!
At the end of my first work day I fealt like a superlooserjerk. I went to report that I'm leaving. My boss, supervisor thanked me (for playing the piano! Not for standing arround though). She sounded suprised because I said I'd come back tomorrow. (well excuse me). A granny was really sad because I was leaving. She was happy when I said I'd come back. SHE WAS HAPPY BECAUSE I SAID I'D COME BACK. She saved my day. I'll go back and try to do my best. I'm damn scared though. I can't believe I'm actually capable of doing useless volunteer work :D.

3 kommenttia:

Baino kirjoitti...

Oh Ebs it's not stupid work. You probably bring joy into many of their lives but they aren't able to thank you for it. Many old people have dimentia and are very confused, especially when they get to the stage of living in a home. And it's actually very good that you're a listener because they probably don't get much of a chance to talk to people. You're doing a good thing. (and you're not stupid) You're being very generous with your time.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Well, it is nice that you did Charity Work. Aren't you a boy by accident? You are too cool to be a girl moreover you don't chat.

Mo kirjoitti...

Baino: Thanks. I'll try to remember that. I just wish I'd be braver.

Ropi: There might be a small possibility that I'm in a wrong body ;).